Translate

Monday, December 16, 2013

Carat Media Internship: Journal Entry #11

And so the journey continues into the penultimate week before I break up for Christmas! The campaign from last week, on which I advised on strategy, performed quite well I was told, so I'm quite pleased about that.

This week was rather exciting too, for I worked with PowerPoint, designing slides for a client to sell AMNET's Facebook analytics abilities as effectively as I could, which gave me a great experience with the software in placing images, changing colours and hues, and writing as concisely as I could, which I took a liking to pretty much instantly.

I used infographics to demonstrate some key points such as Facebook's reach (targeting the message to the client's geo-targeting strategy seeing as they wanted to target Yorkshire specifically,) as well as one that I pulled from eConsultancy that showed the audience demographics:



I thought it all went quite smoothly. I also helped in advising a colleague on her slides by proofreading for typos and wording inconsistencies: for example -because you work in a particular field, jargon becomes a second language almost, which outsiders don't understand- and so I had to -on occasion- ask what certain phrases meant, so together we re-worded some parts of the presentation in order to make it more client-friendly; we don't want our message to go over their heads after all! I don't think the presentation has been completed yet, but the deadline approaches and I hope it contributes to our successes; we've seen quite a few recently between gaining the Premiere Foods contract and being bought out by Dentsu back in July, let's hope it continues! 

After the presentation, I conducted some more stuff on Excel, completing a Keyword, Placement and Ad Group report for a client and recommending a strategic direction for each, stating good and bad results for CPC, CTR and CPA and reasons as to why this was so. For example, I deduced that since the campaign performed well on the keyword for "Help to buy," that the reason why it was successful was due to the political implications with George Osbourne's "Help to Buy" scheme designed to help people onto the housing ladder in the United Kingdom via part-subsidised lending packages bestowed to prospective first-time buyers. This obviously holds certain implications for as to the average age of those clicking them, which could aid the campaign further in the coming weeks.

Finally, as a task before leaving I tried (and failed) in attempting my first ever Spend check. Spend checks are basically accounts that show conversions, clicks and spend etc. of any of our campaigns and the budget remaining at any given time. Because platforms such as Facebook are unreliable as far as determining costs are concerned, we have to manually input and check the numbers via the other DSPs in order to show the true amount and if it corresponds -as it should- then there would be no need to change anything, and we can just copy and paste the data into the Excel template. If however, there are discrepancies, then we must make the changes in order to make the budgeting fully transparent. These are also used to check the amount of cash that you have remaining for any particular campaign, and if there isn't enough you will have to alter the budgets allocated to each strategy or advert in order to stay within budget so that the campaign runs its course.

The reason as to why I failed was because I just found the whole layout confusing and it was at the end of the day, so maybe I'll try again next week when I'm fresh in the morning. I actually finished early this week since we had a small pre-Christmas celebration where the others gave presents around from under our tree in a "Secret Santa" fashion. Mulled wine was drank (from mugs!) and generally people unwrapped gifts with joyous cheer (there were some very cool presents, like an infographics book with trivia, or a 3D artistic sculpture from the Gadget Shop, as well as a white chocolate Snowman!) A fun day in all with a great twist away from the norm.

And so we proceed to the finale before Christmas, let's hope it's exciting . . .



Nine Days to go!

1 comment: